4.03.2012

Reflection on Perceptions


I feel like in society today, people have really started to embrace individuality and respect the differences that make each one of us unique. So it has become easy to have a "I don't care what people think of me" mindset. In all honesty though, I still care very much and not because I am a very insecure person, but because I think it is important to consider the perception you are sending out to the world. When I first started this blog I was very hesitant to share anything about my faith because I didn't want to be perceived as someone who is too forward with my beliefs. I was afraid to share anything personal with people in general because I didn't want people to refer back to something if it wasn't a shining moment. But there came a point where I had to decide to broadcast the real me, not the politically- correct, refined version. 

While the "I don't care what people think of me" mindset is beneficial in the development of self-esteem in youth, this mindset for us as young adults- and especially as Christians, should concern us. I had a conversation with a friend of mine over the weekend about the struggle between partaking in the social norms of our generation versus maintaining a lifestyle reflective of his desire to serve Christ. This conversation mainly encompassed the consumption of alcohol and use of fowl language. Drinking alcohol in itself is not a sin, in my opinion and neither is swearing. However, Titus chapter 2 clearly states that we are to "to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good(v.3)" and also to "say 'No' to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good (v.12-14)." My main concern with these things is that both hurt your ability to witness to other people. Although these are (arguably) not moral issues, the consistent presence of either depicts a life not centered in Christ which is so selfish because He bought us at a price (1 Corinthians 6:20.) I feel a responsibility to honor God with my life and have convictions against doing things that are ungodly, not in expectation of justifying salvation but because my life is HIS. 
Now, I am not saying that you are a better Christian for never drinking or swearing. I am just saying that I really feel like it is important for each of us to ponder the perception we have with non-believers and let the perception we desire shape our actions to benefit the expansion of the kingdom of God. 
-lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment